Event: Saturday, May 27, 2017 2pm-4pm
In 1903, Village Trustees appointed the first Board of Directors and a public reading room was created in Mountain Home. In 1907, the small collection was such a smashing success the Library Board approached city fathers to obtain a commitment to an ongoing levy. Following approval, the Andrew Carnegie Foundation provided funds to build a permanent facility and on November 19, 1908 the Mountain Home Carnegie Library, equipped only with a furnace and a few books, was dedicated. The Library was on the move and things only got better from then on.
In 1973, librarians left the grand old Carnegie building to setup shop across town at a newly constructed site. (The Carnegie Library became the home of the City’s historical museum). Over the next thirty year period, space again became a premium and voters went to the polls for another time. Mountain Home passed a second bond initiative which doubled the size of the existing building and the Library reopened on March 17, 2006.
Mountain Home Public Library continues to expand its collection of general interest items; digital and electronic resources; provides public use computers and Wi-Fi access; offers bilingual assistance, has a public use conference room; a commons area with a coffee shop; outdoor patio seating, and is host to a variety of adult and children’s events throughout the year.
History of Elmore County including Mountain Home.